expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Miyerkules, Pebrero 19, 2014

Turista sa Sariling Bayan

Intramuros!
Manila Cathedral. Our meeting place.
I don’t know but it seems like this is my first time to go inside the Intramuros though I have been there before. I just cannot remember when.
So this escapade happened because of our subject requirement for online writing. It was really fun doing this because you get to discover things while doing your requirement. Studying should be fun right?
It was 3:00 in the afternoon when we’ve gone there. There are many ways on how to get to Intramuros; it depends on where you are coming from. I think the easiest way to get there is through LRT line 1, you can stop at Carriedo station and ride a jeepney going to Lawton. You’ll know that you’re there when you saw the Manila Cathedral Church. As for us, our meeting place was the Manila Cathedral Church. While waiting we saw a news team from TV 5 conducting a documentary. And being as enthusiastic as we are, we pry on what the team was doing and later on we were asked if they can interview three of our classmates.  Natalie, Jonel and Alen were asked about their opinion on Condom advertisements.

 Jonel being asked by TV5 news reporter about his opinion on Contraceptive Advertisements

After that, we’ve decided to part ways and explore the place on our own. We can go wherever we want. I’ve gone with Rizza and Kim and I should say it was a long walk.


I wonder if their uniform was the same uniform that the Guardia Sibil wore before. 


But the walk was fun because you won’t realize that you’ve been walking for such a long time because of the beautiful sight. The ambiance of the Intramuros reminds me of the movie Letters to Juliet. Even though I know that there are a lot of bad things happened there, I can’t help not to think about romantic things because as I’ve said, it reminds me of the movie. And it was days before Valentine’s Day so please forgive me. J


This reminds us of the play we did, Viva El teatro Porvenir.





As we were walking, we passed by this monument built somewhere inside the Intramuros. It was built in memory of the people who died during the war, I am not sure what war it was and who we (The Filipino People) are fighting against but I think it was the fight against the Spaniards. The monument was built on February 1995. The Statement in the monument goes like this

                “The monument is dedicated to all those innocent victims of war. Many whom went nameless and unknown to a common grave. Or never even knew a grave at all, their bodies having been consumed by fire or crushed to dust beneath the rubble of ruins. Let this monument be the gravestone for each and every one of the over 100,000 men, women, children and infants killed in Manila during its battle of Liberation February 3-March 3, 1945. We have not forgotten them, nor shall we ever forget. May they rest in peace as part now of the sacred ground of this city, The Manila of our affections”

The Papier Tole Shop
After that we’ve passed through this vintage-looking shop. And it was vintage-looking because it was an antique shop J Inside you can buy souvenir items but I think the price was a little bit up there because I’ve seen the same items in Cubao expo with different designs though but they are not as expensive as there in Intramuros. Maybe it was expensive because of the place and it was a tourist’s spot.
During our walk I realized one thing, I am guilty of feeling that I am a tourist because in fact I should not be. Being a “turista sa sariling bayan” (being a tourist in your own country) is something you should not be proud of. I felt that way when I saw a lot of tourists around. I should be happy about it because they get to discover our country but there was this feeling that something bad happened there that we should be reminded of what our ancestors did in that place, somewhere in Intramuros way back before maybe there was Katipunera or a Filipina girl who got raped or something like that. I don’t know but I just felt that way while we were walking.

We were looking for a place to eat when we bumped into Francis and company. We decided then to go with them and contribute for our food.

 The restaurant we chose seems to be pricey so some of us chose a partner for our chosen food. We‘ve chosen the restaurant near the Silahis Antique shop: The Illustrados. As for me, my partner was Kim and we bought Carrot cake. A slice costs PHP90.00 but it was worth it because aside from the fact that it was one of my favorites, it taste nice. Seeing a carrot cake make me happy so I think I am being biased to this one but it was really tasty! J
This photo is from Ryca Jean Canlas' DSLR camera. Did it made you happy? Just looking at it makes me happy. Haha!!

 
Inside the Illustrados Restaurant



The ambiance was cozy and the paintings were nice because it'll remind you about what happened before. I like restaurants like this who chose to have designs such as paintings and statements. 

My favorite part was when we saw a NCCA art gallery inside the Intramuros. I didn’t know that they have an art gallery there so it was exciting to go inside. There’s a place inside intended for the awards given to Filipino artists by Local and International Festivals. It was really inspiring to look at them because I’ve always wanted to create or be a part a protest theater. Looking at those awards given to Filipino people especially to those who created their craft to educate people makes me wonder, on what genre of art am I going to excel at or where do I belong.

I am really happy that I’ve visited Intramuros and I hope to get back there with my little brother some other time. J



We saw this couple while we were talking about Valentine's day hahaha!! What a "coincident"!




2 komento: